MDT 2010 does not install hidden applications
David Trimboli
2009-09-25 14:48:28 UTC
I have discovered that when applications in a deployment point in MDT
2010 are hidden from the deployment wizard but set to be installed in a
database, they do not install. If the applications are made visible,
they install. I have tested this by changing only whether applications
are visible, with test runs before and after the change.

Why is this happening? Shouldn't I be able to hide applications and yet
still install them through a role or directly from a specific computer,
location, or make/model?

I note that VARIABLES.DAT lists all of the applications to be installed
during setup, whether they are hidden or not.
--
David Trimboli
Windows Systems Analyst
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory
David Trimboli
2009-10-06 20:13:51 UTC
Post by David Trimboli
I have discovered that when applications in a deployment point in MDT
2010 are hidden from the deployment wizard but set to be installed in a
database, they do not install. If the applications are made visible,
they install. I have tested this by changing only whether applications
are visible, with test runs before and after the change.
Why is this happening? Shouldn't I be able to hide applications and yet
still install them through a role or directly from a specific computer,
location, or make/model?
I note that VARIABLES.DAT lists all of the applications to be installed
during setup, whether they are hidden or not.
No one has any ideas? No one can reproduce this? :(
KeithGa
2009-10-21 07:32:12 UTC
I don't know why this would happen, I use "Hidden" Applications all the time
(as part of an application bundle). Are you "Hiding" the applications by
deleting them, or are you clicking on the "Hidden" checkbox on the
application property page?

Does your ZTIApplications.log file provide any clues?

-k

Keith Garner is a consultant with Xtreme Consulting Services, part of the
Xtreme Deployment Team http://xtremeconsulting.com, and he is a Subject
Matter Expert in Windows Operating System Deployments.
David Trimboli
2009-10-22 14:19:58 UTC
I check the Hidden checkbox. The log files don't show any indication
that MDT ever planned to install these applications. However, my
applications are not part of an application bundle.
Brian King
2009-12-09 16:17:03 UTC
I am having a same/similar issue. Applications configured via the MDT
database using the Make/Model table do not install. Here's what I did:

I configured my database for Named Pipes and added an entry in the database
for a laptop make and model using the exact values captured from a prior WMI
query. On the Applications tab of that same entry, I added two software
titles from the list of available Applications, then saved the entry. I
verified that the customsettings.ini file is configured for database rules.
I then run the task sequence on the laptop and it runs successfully - no
errors. However, the two applications are not installed.

Here's what else I tried:
1) I reconfigured the applications in MDT, turning the "Hide this
application in Deployment Wizard" setting on/off, then retrying the task
sequence. Neither of the applications install according to the database
rules regardless of this setting.
2) I created an application bundle called "Driver Software for Dell XXX
Laptop" to include the two software titles in question and tried adding the
software bundle as an application in the database rules for the make/model
and that didn't work either.
3) I created separate database rules for the known variations of the 'make'
name, i.e. "Dell", "Dell Inc.", "Dell Computer Corporation".....didn't work
4) I reconfirmed that the application properties are correct by running
them independently using the install commands as shown in the application
properties section. They install fine.

When setting-up the database connection originally, I did get errors after
running the task sequence, so I knew the database propertied were not
configured correctly. After plenty of tweaking and tuning, the database
connection appears to be properly configured as I am getting no errors after
running a sequence.

Using the database to manage varying installation needs is a key feature,
but I cannot seem to figure out what's amiss. Has anyone else encountered
these problems? Can anyone offer some suggestions?

Brian King
Systems Engineer
David Trimboli
2009-12-14 14:19:55 UTC
Post by Brian King
Post by David Trimboli
I check the Hidden checkbox. The log files don't show any indication
that MDT ever planned to install these applications. However, my
applications are not part of an application bundle.
Using the database to manage varying installation needs is a key feature,
but I cannot seem to figure out what's amiss. Has anyone else encountered
these problems? Can anyone offer some suggestions?
My final compromise was to create a subfolder in Applications called
Dell, making sure it was at the bottom of the list (you can edit one of
the xml files if it isn't). Then tell those who use the system not to
touch anything that appears in the Dell section at the bottom.

Not great, but I have no better alternative.
Brian King
2009-12-15 20:23:07 UTC
Yeah, I've spent way too much time trying to figure this out. For now, I've
abandoned the database method and just configured all the driver software as
applications. I created application bundles called "Driver Software Package
for XXX" and listed the required applications as dependents in the properties
section. Not quite what I had hoped for, but functional (a.k.a. it's free
and it's Microsoft's).
Post by David Trimboli
.